You don't have to go broke to fund your card making hobby

If you have been scrapbooking or card making for a while, you know that it is not an inexpensive hobby. Many people, including myself will designate an entire room for our "craft room". I have converted my closet so that it has shelving to hold all of my card stock, stickers, stamps, ink pads, ribbon, brads....the list goes on and on. I am fortunate enough that I live in a big city. I am near a Michaels, Hobby Lobby and a JoAnn's fabric. We have weekly coupons typically of 40% off. But these stores are limited, and even at 40% off, supplies can get expensive. But did you know that there are other outlets to find reasonably priced craft items. In Phoenix, there is a used bookstore called bookmans that has used rubber stamps. They accept trade-ins for credit and I have used my credits to buy several used stamps. I also recently found out that thrift stores carry used rubber stamps, buttons, raffia and lace. I bought a bag of 10 rubber stamps for $4.99. I only found 4 that I wanted, but I was able to trade the others at bookmans to get stamps that I did want. What is fun about these used stamps, is that they are typically older stamps that you cannot find anymore and some of them are very cute!  I also shop on line on Ebay, Etsy and Ecrater. I have purchased Tim Holt's products on line for more than 80% off of retail prices. The trick is to find someone that has many items that you want so you can combine shipping. I love those $0.99 deals. Craigs list is another place that I routinely check to find people looking to downsize as well. Many times these people are selling items for $1 - $2 that can typically sell for $15 - $20. I recently went to a garage sell and spent $25 and took home over $200 in supplies.  One other retail store that I check weekly is Tuesday Morning. These are typically stores that get overstock and can sell crafting items sometimes at 80% off retail prices. My hotel in Pittsburgh has a Tuesday Morning right across the street. Well, you guessed it, I checked it out and found severeral more "new" stamping items I will be able to use for my Christmas cards. If the product is one I know will be in demand, I will buy several, list on Ebay for retail, and use my profit to purchase other items on line at discounted prices. I have been able to stock up on so many items to support my hobby, and it really has not cost me a fortune. I wanted to share with you one of the cards I made with a stamp I got at Bookmans on a trade. I have made several card kits from this stamp on Grandparent's Day cards, which is Septermber 8th, by the way.



3 comments:

  1. Hee Hee..funnyn sentiment! Thanks for joining us in the My Creative Time ~ Designer Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute Card :)
    Thank for joining us in the My Creative Time Designer Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is just TOO STINKIN' CUTE, SUPER job with it!!!Thanks for joining us in the My Creative Time/Designer Challenge!!!:)

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Challeng Winners - February & March 2023

   Hello everyone. As you may have noticed, I have been MIA for the last couple of months. Life has been very busy and it has been difficult...